BU Incubator Business Static Games Perfects Pitch to Panel
The Centre for Entrepreneurship team were delighted to welcome Nigel Reed Smith, Innovation Growth Specialist with the Dorset Growth Hub, onto an expert panel to give incubator business Static Games the opportunity of ‘pitching’ to business professionals.
With over 30 years of working with start-up and established businesses, Nigel’s banking and business support experience offered valuable insights into the financial requirements of a business pitch and he was able to assist Static Games immensely by offering recommendations from this perspective. Nigel joined a panel of business, entrepreneurship, investment-readiness and digital marketing professionals from the CfE headed by Professor Dean Patton and CfE Manager Mark Painter.
Innovative gaming company, Static Games are currently preparing for a pitch for matched funding from Creative England’s Games Lab. The funding will be used to employ 2 new team members; adding to the current business skillset; to bring their technologically innovative game to release-stage; and to ensure business sustainability.
Static Games’ plans for this funding address Creative England’s objectives of:
- funding innovative games technology;
- investing in commercially astute gaming companies;
- job creation
- retention of talent within the South West;
- and sustainability through the safeguarding of existing jobs.
The objective of the session was to help provide a business focus for the upcoming pitch and Static Games were delighted to receive expert help, support, advice and recommendations to enhance their offering to Creative England.
The opportunity to get pitch-perfect in front of an expert panel is one of the many benefits of incubation at Bournemouth University’s Centre for Entrepreneurship. With BU’s Digital Graduate Incubator due to launch in 2015 for final year Bournemouth University students, the Centre for Entrepreneurship is excited to be delivering several key programmes over the next 9 months, including:
- Business Idea Hackathon
- Business Plan Bootcamp
- ‘Dragon’s Den’ Competition to pitch for incubation
- 12 months Incubation and Business Support at the Graduate Incubator
Part of Dr Christos Gatzidis‘ Games Technology course, Static Games has been developing unique digital IP via a new development platform specifically created for their latest game and leased out to other developers to test their games. The game which will be the foundation offering for the funding, Mendel’s Farm, uses accurate scientific genetic principles signed off by academic institutions The Wellcome Trust and The Sanger Institute
Previous successes by Static Games include a Wellcome Trust Development Award and reaching the finals of Epic Games‘ Make Something Unreal Live 2013, the Wellcome Trust’s Live Pitch Contest, Creative England and Microsoft Greenshoots.
The Centre for Entrepreneurship is immensely grateful to Mr Reed Smith for his time and expertise and for his continuing support of the CfE and its businesses within the Incubator.
- 'Developing Women Leaders' Event
- The Mike Warne Event - The Future of Influencer Marketing
- Virgin Start Up Meetup Event - Bournemouth, April 26th
- Launch of BU Short Courses for the Tourism and Hospitality Industry
- 'The Seed Fund 2017' for Food and Drink Startups - Now Open for Entries
- Forthcoming Event - Finance in Dorset 2017
- National Careers Week - 6th to 10th March 2017
- Department for International Trade 'Ready for Export' Workshop
- PKF Francis Clark 'Finance in Dorset' Event - 2nd March
- Innovate UK Launch New Funding Competition