Simon founded Fluvial Innovations Ltd alongside Bournemouth University in 2006. Fluvial Innovations Ltd designed, developed and patented the modular flood barrier – Floodstop. Floodstop was specifically designed to fill a gap within the market for a functional and rapidly deployable flood barrier. Floodstop is used throughout the UK, US and parts of Europe.
Simon’s achievements include:
- UK South West Young Entrepreneur of the Year, 2007
- Harvard Business Pitching competition, 2007
- Selected by the National Council for Graduate Entrepreneurship (NCGE) and the US-based Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation to be part of its new Entrepreneurship Fellows Scheme, 2007 onwards
- HSBC Start-Up Stars Regional Finalist, 2008
- NESTA/NCGE Follow-on fund winner, 2009
- Supporter and volunteer for Weymouth Career’s College 2009 – 2012+ and Aim Higher (STEMNET)
- Board member for NCGE (National Council of Graduate Entrepreneurship), from 2010 to 2011
- Finalist in Barclays “Take One Small Step Competition”. Made final 3 firms in the South West against 3,600 other companies, 2010
- DEFRA Climate Change Competition Winner. Defra funding worth £65,000 to develop technology to tackle climate change and flooding, 2012
Floodstop won the Emergency Planners Society’s Award for Most Innovative Product of The Year 2009 it was also voted “The Most Innovative Product of 2009” by the Emergency Planning Society.
Simon’s achievements and entrepreneurial approach to founding and running Fluvial Innovations Ltd make him a welcome addition to the Entrepreneurs in Residence scheme. You can find out more about Fluvial Innovations and Floodstop by visiting the website: www.fluvial-innovations.co.uk
- BU Seminar: 'Migration, Economic Impact and Integration Policy'
- BU Festival of Learning event - 'Brexit and Immigration: Impact on Local Businesses in Dorset'
- 'Developing Women Leaders' Event
- The Mike Warne Event - The Future of Influencer Marketing
- Virgin Start Up Meetup Event - Bournemouth, April 26th
- Launch of BU Short Courses for the Tourism and Hospitality Industry
- 'The Seed Fund 2017' for Food and Drink Startups - Now Open for Entries
- Forthcoming Event - Finance in Dorset 2017
- National Careers Week - 6th to 10th March 2017
- Department for International Trade 'Ready for Export' Workshop