Starter for 10 is back to offer £10,000 for business innovators
Creative businesses in the South West have the chance to secure a £10,000 grant and a package of business support for the most innovative ideas. Starter for 10 is an opportunity for businesses to pitch their idea for a new product or service to a panel of leading industry experts in the South West, including Jaya Chakrabarti, Chief Executive of Nameless, and David Ford, Chief Executive of Bright Blue Day.
Shortlisted companies will attend a “pitch battle” in Bristol where the panel will assess ten minute pitches and choose ten successful companies. These businesses will go on to receive a £10,000 grant, as well as comprehensive business support to help take their product or service to market.
Jim Farmery, Creative England’s Director of Business Development, said: “At Creative England we are passionate about helping our creative industries thrive and creating jobs in the region. Last year we were inundated with applications, proving that the South West has a wealth of talented businesses just waiting to be given the opportunity to get off the ground. We look forward to seeing what gems are discovered in 2014.”
Businesses must be under two years old and operate within the sectors of digital, web and interactive; mobile and app; social media; or marketing.
Competition judges are:
• Jaya Chakrabarti – CEO, Nameless, a Bristol-based creative digital agency and has worked with some big names, including Orange, the NHS, Channel 4, British Airways and Virgin.
• David Ford – Chief Executive of Bright Blue Day, one of the fastest growing Communication agencies in the UK.
• Jaspal Sohal – Head of Games and Digital, Creative England, responsible for leading on Creative England’s national strategy for the games and digital media sector.
• Anthony Story – Head of New Business Development, Creative England.
Steve Taylor, a specialist in leading and growing entrepreneurial creative and digital businesses, will be running workshops and one-to-one business mentoring sessions over the course of the programme for the successful applicants. Steve is a prolific business advisor and mentor with organisations that support startups and innovation, including NESTA, the British Council and REACT.
The application close date is the 23rd of February 2014. For more information, visit the Starter for 10 website: www.starterfor10.biz
Creative Industries iNet:
Start for 10 is supported by European funding, available through the iNet programme. The Creative Industries iNet takes a bird’s-eye view over the complete journey a business takes converting an idea for a new product into full-blown commercial success. It maps each critical stage along that journey and provides resources to help businesses overcome related barriers which hinder their success. This is achieved through a series of programmes and projects. These are designed to connect business people to the relevant support, expertise or help they need. The Creative Industries iNet is part of Solutions for Business, a programme of support for small businesses in five of the high growth potential sectors in the South West. The iNets were initially supported by £13 million of funding from the South West RDA, the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and partner investments.
European Regional Development Fund:
The Starter for 10 project is part financed by the European Regional Development Fund Programme 2007 to 2013. The Department for Communities and Local Government is the managing authority for the European Regional Development Fund Programme, which is one of the funds established by the European Commission to help local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support local businesses and create jobs
- BU Seminar: 'Migration, Economic Impact and Integration Policy'
- BU Festival of Learning event - 'Brexit and Immigration: Impact on Local Businesses in Dorset'
- 'Developing Women Leaders' Event
- The Mike Warne Event - The Future of Influencer Marketing
- Virgin Start Up Meetup Event - Bournemouth, April 26th
- Launch of BU Short Courses for the Tourism and Hospitality Industry
- 'The Seed Fund 2017' for Food and Drink Startups - Now Open for Entries
- Forthcoming Event - Finance in Dorset 2017
- National Careers Week - 6th to 10th March 2017
- Department for International Trade 'Ready for Export' Workshop